Thursday, April 12, 2012

We'll Be Alright!


I strongly encourage you to listen as you read today. 

As one of my friends has long said "Age isn't nothin' but a number girlfriend!"

And right she is.

I have another friend and several co-workers who grumble about getting older.  They refuse to say how old they really are with each birthday.

I don't get it.

Why grumble about the time you have been given?  Why hide your age?  Every year you get here is a gift.  Every grey hair is a sign of survival (and some are probably payback for some fun you had!)

My sister died when she was 37.

Can you imagine?  At the time I realized that it was young.  But now that I have some years past 37 I have an even better idea just how young she really was.

Not a single grey hair on that head.  Nary a wrinkle around her eyes.  No smile lines.

What a pity.

I hear young people all the time say ignorant things like "I don't want to get old."

Fools.  Don't they realize that not getting old isn't natural?  Or how sad it is to not get those marks of survival?

You know, my sister always said "I don't  want to get old."

Maybe we should be more careful about what we wish for in our lives?

Maybe we should be thankful each day for what we do have instead of finding ways to tear ourselves down, listing all the things we don't have and don't want.

"We are young, we run free Stay up late, we don't sleep Got our friends, got the night We'll be alright!"

No comments:

Post a Comment