Friday, April 20, 2012

Happy Happy Birthday Baby

Eight years ago a really special little girl came into our lives. 

Right from the start it was clear to all of us that she was most definitely her own little person.

Such a good little angel. 

There were a lot of things going on when she was due to arrive.  My sister was in the middle of chemo treatments.  My dad was in the middle of radiation treatments.

Li'l baby and I had chats about how he/she (since we didn't know what we were getting) had to stay put until her eviction date. 

And she did.  It was a busy time since my dad's brother died just a few days before the set eviction date. His funeral was the day before baby was to arrive. 

But she stayed put like a good little girl.  She even listened when I told her there was no reason to go and get bigger than 9 lbs ("because anything more than that is just showing off anyway")

So on April 20 she came into the world, right on schedule.  And she was 9 lbs, 2 oz.  I can forgive 2 ounces for sure.

First words from the dr were "wow--look at that hair" 

Um thanks Dr but what did we get--boy or girl?

And then finally he told us--a girl.  With thick dark brown hair.

Now you must have some background.  When my oldest was born, in my very first look at her I thought "she looks like my dad."  When my second was born, in my very first look at her I thought "she looks like her other grandfather."  But when my youngest was born I thought "she looks like herself."

She's a delightful little girl who loves to laugh and make other people happy.  She has a keen sense for reading a situation and knowing how to act.  She understands people and their moods.  She loves animals.  We sometimes call her the cat-whisperer because she tamed a feral cat. . .had that cat sitting in her lap in nothing flat.  I thought the cat belonged to a neighbor but no, she was a wild cat from the woods.  And my then 4 year old girl tamed her. 

Today she is eight years old.  Eight years of making our lives fuller, richer and happier.  We never knew what we were missing until we had her.  And now we know that we couldn't live without her.

Happy Birthday Baby Girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment