Sunday, April 29, 2012

Cinder

Marissa Meyer's debut novel is a new interpretation of a Cinderella story.  Cinder lives in New Beijing with her step-mother Adri and two step sisters, Pearl and Peony.  Cinder is a cyborg.  She belongs to Adri.  She is also a highly skilled mechanic and she contributes to the family with her earnings and her ability to keep their technology running.

Cinder has a chance encounter with the young Prince Kai, whose father has contracted lutemosis, a terrible disease much like The Plague.   As there is no cure for lutemosis, the entire kingdom is planning for when Kai will be crowned and take over as leader. 

Quite frankly, I know there is a good deal of hype about the novel but I felt that it really wasn't anything all that new.  I could predict where the story was going far in advance which is somewhat disappointing to me.  I also somehow missed that this was the first in a series.  And now I feel I have to read more when it finally comes out so that I can know for sure how it all turns out.

Perhaps if I was a younger reader I would have found more to like in this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment