Thursday, April 19, 2012

Movies and plays and butter cream icing!

It's a 4 day weekend for me.  And I can't think of a better time for this one. 

I get to go on my daughter's field trip tomorrow.  They are going to the movies!  Totally excited about that one.

And tomorrow night we are going to see a production of Legally Blonde.  The director is a good friend of ours.  The kids are just over the moon about going to this play.

We have two birthdays to celebrate too.  My lil girl told me "I want a chocolate cake.  I want it to be round.  I want a cake on bottom, one on top and another on on top. And I wants squiggly icing around the bottom.  And then put strawberries around it too.  And put '8' on top of the cake.  Are we having ice cream too?  I want to have ice cream too."

Yuppers.  Definitely a good weekend ahead.  Truly good stuff.

In case you are interested, the chocolate cake will most likely come from a box.  But the icing will be homemade as follows:

1-2 sticks of butter, at room temperature (nice and soft)
2 lb bag of powdered sugar
2 tsp (or more?) of vanilla
2 tablespoons (or more?) of skim milk

Cream butter.  I am planning to use 2 sticks because a 3 layer cake will need plenty of icing.  I will start by mixing in about half the bag of sugar.  Add vanilla and milk.  Continue to beat until smooth adding powdered sugar to the mix until it is the right consistency.  I prefer for it to be thicker than the icing you buy in a plastic tub at the grocery.  It needs to be firm enough to stay on the cake and hold its shape.

The little one has not specified a color for the icing itself or the trim/lettering.  I'll have to get that from her tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment