Saturday, April 14, 2012

Quick Book Reports

So I had a pile of books.

I've made it through most of that pile and have a new,taller pile waiting for me to get to them.

But to give a quick review:

Kristin Hannah's books were recommended by a friend.  I often see Hannah's books on the "bestseller express" display at our library but I hadn't picked any of them up until Home Front.  This is the story of a modern family. . .Michael is an attorney and Jolene is a helicopter pilot for the National Guard.  When Jolene gets called to serve the family faces a whole new set of pressures.  It was a good read but I have to say that I found parts of it very unrealistic.  If you read non-fiction accounts of soldiers at war, you will see what I mean.  I hesistate to say more because I do not want to spoil the novel for you.  I would guess that most casual readers would not even catch what I found to be so ridiculous.

Moving on to Lisa Gardner and Catch Me . I  was familiar with Detective DD Warren from an earlier novel, Hide.  I was not disappointed by Catch Me.  It was well written with enough twists and turns to keep me guessing and just enough horror to make me want to keep reading.  I definitely recommend this series.  DD Warren is a tough cookie who will get to the bottom of things.  She has her professional life in line even when her personal life just can't fall in place.

As always my Lee Child book was everything I expected.

But I did have another one in the stack that I just had to let go.  I read the first 100 pages and just couldn't make myself keep reading.  So back it went.  Very odd because it was an author I had always liked very much.  But that happens sometimes.

I still haven't read the Ariana Franklin book.  And for the moment she is displaced by some new selections. . .Sophie Kinsella's I've Got Your Number arrived at the library so I picked it up in a hurry.  I also have one from Marissa Meyer called Cinder.  This is her debut novel for young adults.

Happy reading.  I'm really excited about my long weekend coming up soon.  Lots of time to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment