Monday, April 30, 2012

They don't make'em like they used to, that's for sure

I wish I had a picture of Bessie.  She's a hard worker and sometimes we just take her for granted.  I wish I knew her whole history.  What is amazing is that I know a good 30 years of her history but she's much older than that.

Bessie is the Frigidaire refrigerator currently residing in my basement.  She's from the 1940s and looks great.  She's shorter than me but a good deal wider.  And she looks fantastic.  She has a curved door and one of those pull-latch handles--chrome.  Her interior is aqua.  And the original stickers are still inside. 

Most important, she works like a charm.  She's the "soda fridge" and she takes her job quite seriously.  In fact, the biggest problem we have is that she occasionally gets things a little too cool.  The freezer will ice over.  Or maybe a soda will explode.

But for the most part, she's testimony to a time long ago when they built things to last forever.  I'm really not sure how many homes she has graced.  I imagine she was in my grandparents' home or maybe one of my aunts' before she took up residence at my parents' house.  She's the fridge that my girls used to load up with sodas (and get a quarter for doing so) when we went over to visit my parents.  And one day they decided they wanted a smaller fridge so we got Bessie.  I'm just delighted to have her and thrilled that she continues to work just as hard today as she did when she was brand new. 

No comments:

Post a Comment