Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Baby Shop

Once upon a time there was this store in town called The Baby Shop.  It was locally owned/operated and had everything you would need to take care of your baby through the teen years.

I miss it.

When we were kids we used to go to the downtown store.  Later we found ourselves at the mall location. And even when I was in college I remember going to the new mall to pick up baby gifts from The Baby Shop.

They believed in quality goods and service.

My main memories are from the mall stores but the two stores are somewhat of a blur now.  I remember a narrow mezzanine that had toys--specifically Madame Alexander dolls in their pretty silvery blue boxes.  There were teddy bears too.

I remember trying on Prom dresses there with my sister (Not that either of us went to Prom and guess what?  We lived to tell the tale. It wasn't actually the end of the world like I thought it was when I was in high school.)

I remember getting shoes there.  A good friend of the family worked in the shoe dept of the store (which was actually Baynahm's).  They had colorful carpet with a hopscotch pattern.

Weird how the brain works sometimes.  I remember the carpet vividly.  Chairs?  Not at all. 

I guess I'm nostalgic for the old Baby Shop because I have to take my girls shopping for Easter clothes.  Actually, I have just one left to shop for.  And I wish that I could have just taken them all for some one stop shopping at a store that waits on you to help you find what you really need.

I guess those days are over in this town.  People prefer to shop in the big stores with a huge selection so they can dig around to find what they want.  Or they go online to find it and get it shipped directly to them.

It's a shame.  The little ladies who worked at The Baby Shop always seemed to know just what to suggest for us. No searching in the dark for the perfect dress.  They knew.  And if they didn't have it, they would recommend another place for you to try. 

Those were the days.

No comments:

Post a Comment