Tuesday, March 20, 2012

I Heart Izzy Spellman (The Spellman Files)

A few years ago I was searching for some new reading material.  One of the girls I know at the library suggested I might like some books by Lisa Lutz.  The first book in the series is The Spellman Files;  it begins the story about a family of private investigators in San Francisco.  I had made my way through Janet Evanovich's series so I was ready to try something new (and yes, still reading Evanovich as they are published and for the record, Morelli is my choice).

I thoroughly enjoyed The Spellman Files but admit that it was tough at times because I had to meet all the characters and the book was written from multiple perspectives.  (Sometimes I fear my brain has become a bit dull with age because I almost need a 3x 5 card as a cheat sheet for the cast of characters).  Each characte's view was told in his/her own font.  Once I got used to the structure, it was a fun romp through the family's struggles. 

Even better was the second book in the series--Curse of the Spellmans.  I cannot remember a time when I found the second book in a series to be so much fun to read.  Maybe it was because I already knew the characters? 

I refuse to spoil the fun for you by giving up the plot line or any of the twists and turns.  (Heck you can follow the link to Lisa Lutz's website and read the teasers for yourself).  But I can tell you that I love Izzy.  She is a bit of a mess--28 and living at home which is also the address for the family business.  But she is a good investigator.  She cares about the clients she takes on.  She wants to do a good job and live her own life--without being under the constant microscope of her family (tough to do when the family business involves tailing other people and getting the dirt on their lives!)

One of my favorite lines comes from Revenge of the Spellmans (Document #3) when Izzy looked at her mother and said: ""It's my life. You're just a member of the audience,"  Who hasn't wanted to use that line?  And how perfect is it?

I'm in the middle of the fifth book in the series right now.  Things are completely topsy turvy in the Spellman household and business.  Izzy is working on getting another ex-boyfriend (how she refers to all of her boyfriends because she is certain that all of her relationships will end anyway).

If you enjoy Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books you will LOVE Izzy Spellman!  (And guys, I know for a fact that some of you, even though you are big tough guys do in fact read the Plum novels so don't even try to hide it!)  Izzy is a smart girl who can take care of herself.  She doesn't need anyone to bail her out of trouble and she will get to the bottom of the problem through hard work and smarts.  Read The Spellman Files knowing that the first book is the tough one to get through and after that it's nothing but fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment