Saturday, March 3, 2012

Continuing my list of wants. .a "Honey do" list

Perhaps if I make the list public I'll get it done? 

When we built our house I wanted a basement.  I couldn't imagine not having a place to store stuff.  And since we were building into a hill, a walkout basement was the obvious choice. 

The downside of this?  I have 1 reasonably livable room and a vast space that is holding stuff.  Just stuff. 

Unfortunately the first summer we were in the house we were still trying to sell the old one and get settled into the new one.  The second summer I had surgery and couldn't do much for the majority of summer.  The third summer?  Well I should have taken care of it then but I got wrapped up in projects upstairs.

So this summer I have a set of things that must be done in the basement.  They are, in no particular order:
  • Paint the family room area.  We are most likely going with a bright pink and grey palette as we make this our "girl cave" for doing homework, practicing on the keyboard and playing on the Wii.  When finances allow it I would like to get the one couch recovered to fit this color scheme.
  • Build storage shelves like we had at the old house.  I was so spoiled when we lived there.  We had an entire wall of floor to rafter shelves.  Amazing storage.  I must have shelves again so I can get the boxes of things that I just can't let go off put away properly.  (In fact, I printed off a set of plans for the hubby to study.  According to the plans, they are super easy and will come together in "one evening."  Again, I have confidence!)
  • Before the shelves can be built I need clear space for them and settle on the "best use of space" plan so we can have the Cave, store room, sewing room/spare bedroom/tornado shelter, office and kitchenette.   After walking my poor hubby through the basement last night I think I have a pretty good idea of how to do all this by building just 4 walls and hanging some doors.  It seems so simple here. :-)I don't need all these rooms completed this summer.  Just getting the storage area and Cave done would be good.
  • I have rolls of carpeting that I got for free from a friend who was preparing to open a bakery.  It needs to be rolled out, cleaned and placed.
It looks like a nice little project for the summer.  Much of it requires my hubby to do work for me.  But it is high time we get this extra living space done!

No comments:

Post a Comment