Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Along with lovin' Izzy Spellman, I totally heart Jack Reacher

Lee Child cannot possibly write enough for me. 

A couple of summers ago I was at the library (hey, it's what we do during the summer--library or pool) and I saw 61 Hours on the "Bestseller Express" rack.  The title was intriguing along with the chapter titles since the story was told looking back over the past 61 hours which have led up to the conclusion of the story.  I picked it up and from that moment I was absolutely hooked on Jack Reacher.  That man is hot.  (Course I do have some concerns about what it says about me that I love this Reacher character so much).  He is confident in his abilities.  He is a former MP and currently a drifter.  He lives according to his own code.  He is observant.  He is big.  He is strong.  He is smart.  And he will right wrongs.  His instincts are spot on.  He is larger than life. (OK, that doesn't look so bad.  Although I failed to mention that righting wrongs often involves killing people).

At this point there are 16 novels in the series.  They can be read in any order.  I started with book #14 and continued to read each new novel as it was printed.  But I am also reading the series in the order written and I am up to book #11.  I am worried about the day arriving when there are no more Jack Reacher stories to be had.

Another worry is how this movie will transfer to the big screen.  It is my understanding that Tom Cruise has been tapped to play Jack Reacher.  Apparently this is with Lee Child's blessing.  I would like to be able to trust Mr. Child's vision here but Tom Cruise is far from 6' 5" and 250 lbs Jack Reacher I have pictured.  Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment