Wednesday, February 15, 2012

We can't be this old. . .

Oy this is not a fun topic.  But this week I have been reading obituaries.  It all started when I saw condolences on a friend's facebook page. So I checked the obituaries.  Saw another high school classmate's dad had died.  And then another obit caught my eye; he was just 59.  I know his son too.

This can't be happening.

We are too young to lose our parents.  I say that knowing that 3 of my closest friends from my high school days have already lost a parent or two.  But now the parents are slipping away from us at a faster pace. 
When we were teens, we felt like we couldn't get away from them. . .and they would be with us forever.

And yet they won't be with us forever.  They can't be.  What a silly notion.

My parents are in their seventies.  I cannot even imagine the day when they are not here.  My dad has lost all of his brothers already.  His sisters and all his sisters-in-law are still here.  My mom still has all her siblings. 

What will my world be without them?  Frightening notion to say the least. 

Today I have to stop in the funeral home after work.  I don't want to do it.  Who ever does.  But it is important.  And I know it.  So I will go to see someone I haven't seen in years and try to find the right words. 

And again tonight I'll be thanking my lucky stars that I have my parents.  And praying that I get to keep them here for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment