Saturday, February 4, 2012

One Pot Lasagna

Sometimes we get stuck in food ruts.  So I have to go searching for different meals for the family.  I came across one that was called something like one skillet lasagna.  I printed it off then went home and made something different.  Oh I started to follow the printed recipe but I couldn't use celery or mushrooms and I didn't have all the ingredients on hand so I substituted here and there.  What follows is our version of a One Pot Lasagna.  We make it using a copper bottom stock pot.  I'll warn you, the pan gets a little nasty everytime we make it but thanks to hubby and the amazing powers of both baking soda and a brillo pad, we get it clean again.

3-4 full size carrots, shredded
1 medium onion, diced
1-2 teaspoons of crushed garlic (from a jar and worth every penny I spend for it)
EVOO

Sautee the carrots, onions and garlic in evoo in the stock pot

When the onions are transparent add:
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 large can "traditional" spaghetti sauce (Hunt's or Del Monte)
1 cup water

Spice it up. . .we put in about 1 tablespoon of sugar along with a teaspoon or so of crushed red peppers.  You might also add oregano.  I'l be honest here, for me, adding spices is about shaking some in until it looks and smells right.  I give conservative estimates for you so you won't end up with something too hot to eat.
Once the sauce is good and hot, add your pasta.  You can use regular or "no cook" lasagna.  Break the strips into 1-2" long pieces and add to the sauce.  It should be covered by sauce but do not mix it in thoroughly.  Let cook for 12-15 minutes so the pasta cooks through.

Finally, reduce heat, stir the lasagna all together then add 1-2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese.  Cover so the cheese can melt.

We often eat this as a no meat alternative but if I happen to have some extra ground beef I will occasionally add it in when I put the sauce together.  It doesn't look as pretty as a slice of lasagna on a plate but for the time investment, it's worth the trade off.  This meal can be put together in about 30 minutes whereas "real lasagna" takes longer and means more dirty dishes.

Little secret--my mom hates cooked carrots.  But she loves this meal.  It's gotten to the point that I tell her at the beginning of the week what's on our menu so she and Dad can plan to join us.  They rarely pass on this meal :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment