Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sarcasm?

In my real life interactions I am sometimes told that I'm so sarcastic.  And that it's hilarious.  And I can be.  I know.  I had a student one time tell me that I was the most sarcastic teacher he had ever met.  My response? 

"Ya think?"  Said with a smile and a little laugh.

For the record, I work with the big kids.  The ones who drive cars, vote and have jobs. . .the ones who know everything and are quick to point out their parents' faults.  They are the kids who are old enough to "get" sarcasm.  They can appreciate it and laugh along with it.  They are pretty good at figuring out when I'm serious and when I'm sarcastic.  Sarcasm does not work with the younger crowd.  Bless their little hearts, they need kindness and love without having to try to figure out "Does she really mean that?"

I would assume that any readers I have are old enough to "get" when I am being sarcastic as well.  However, I am intensely concerned how the written word might come across to readers who do not know me.  I have a quote from a book I read last year that I keep next to my computer "The written word is perilous, as you can't always guarantee your words will be read in the spirit in which they were written." (Jojo Moyes The Last Letter From Your Lover.)  Some of the most successful bloggers provide sharp-witted sarcastic retellings of events in their lives.  One side of me would love to think that people would be interested enough in what I have to say that they'd stop in daily to check on me and my life.  But another side of me is concerned that we don't need another brash sarcastic retelling of life.   

For that reason I'm willing to keep my sarcasm for real life and keep my writing here focused more on the positive things.  Memories of my "Leave it to Beaver" or "Father Knows Best" upbringing.  Recipes from my family.  And my own reminders of my favorite things.

No comments:

Post a Comment