Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I love little baby ducks, old pickup trucks. . . .

Ah the good old days.  Back when they wrote songs that made sense.

I love Tom T. Hall.  The storyteller. 

Tom T. Hall was always my dad's kind of music.  When we would run errands as a family my mom and sister were always the ones to run in the store to pick up whatever we needed.  Dad and I would sit in the car and listen to the a.m. radio.  Almost always it was  a country station.

What a sweet song, right?  Who can argue with:

"I love honest open smiles, kisses from a child, tomatoes on the vine, and onions
I love winners when they cry, losers when they try, music when it's good, and life
And I love you too"

Of course you can't actually turn the song into a bedtime lullaby.  You can't exactly sing "I  love coffee in a cup, little fuzzy pups, bourbon in a glass. . . ."  I mean, no matter how true it might be for you (and it isn't for me) I just don't think you can get away with bourbon as your lullaby.

But for me, Tom T. Hall singing "I Love" is pretty much like a lullaby.  A reminder of days long past.  When things were simpler.  Days when my dad and I just hung out singing along to the radio.

Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment