Monday, February 6, 2012

How do you thank someone who doesn't realize her importance? (aka "To Sir~~Um, Ma'm, With Love" part 2)

Last week I saw my vocal music teacher from elementary school at the grocery store.  It's the only place I ever run into her.  It always starts off as an awkward conversation that goes like this:.

Me:  Excuse me. . .ahmmm, I think I know you. (Hmm, what am I supposed to call her?  I know her last nane changed but never can remember it. . .and I sure can't call her Sara even though I know her by that name too)

Her:  Oh?

Me:  Yes, You were my choir teacher in grade school. I'm (then stumble to say my maiden name instead of married name)  I was the younger sister.

Her:  Oh yes!  How are you?  How's your mom?

We chatted for a while.  I introduced my girls to her.  (She said they didn't look like me which was so funny to hear since some people refer to each of them as my mini-me's)  My girls have heard all about my choir teacher and they know what a great experience I had at my elementary school  I tried so hard to tell her how much I appreciate all the work she put in all those years working on music programs for Christmas and in the spring along with the play every year.  She just poo-pooed my gushing saying "It was so much fun.  I loved the kids.  We had a great team.  It was fun.  The kids were great and we loved every minute of it."

What on earth can you say to that?

Sitting here writing this I truly have a wave of emotions come over me.  Because of this woman and the team of great people she worked with, I learned to waltz in third grade as part of a skit we did for music night.  We were waltzing at Cinderella's Ball.  She gave me the chance to play piano during one of the scene changes at one of the annual music nights.  She let me sing a duet for the Christmas Wassail in eighth grade.  And I still got a duet for Music Night my eighth grade year.

The hours she spent before school and after school and during lunch to get us ready for shows. . .it just amazes me.  There was no extra money in it.  She did it out of love of music and love of us kids. 

It doesn't get much better than that.  It can't get much better than that. 

We parted ways that afternoon, me with a slight lump in my throat that I couldn't quite explain to my kids.  I was so blessed to have good teachers who loved us and loved their jobs.

Bless you Mrs. H and your former teammates for giving us so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment