Friday, February 10, 2012

So I read this book. . . and I think you'd love it!

I had this notion that I'd write about my favorite book. 

As if I had a favorite book

As if I could narrow it down to one.

That's a task almost as hard as coming up with a top 5 of music!

Some books are amazing because they get you thinking.  Others are amazing because they make bring understanding.  Others are amazing because they let you escape from life for a while.

My most recent "amazing read" is a little book called What's the Economy for Anyway?  It challenges the idea of a growing GDP as a sign of a healthy economy.  It suggests that we need to look at what will give the greatest good for the most people in the economy.  The authors look at Bhutan and their economic measure known as Gross National Happiness.   I was so intrigued by that one I had to look it up.  You can see it here.

I never saw the movie PS I Love You.  But I did read the book.  I loved it.  I laughed.  I cried.  It reminded me that even when it's really hard to keep going and keep growing, that's what we have to do.  Cecelia Ahern has become one of my favorite writers.  Good common sense quotes pop out of her writing. 

A list of favorite books would not be complete without Sundays at Tiffanys by James Patterson.  It's about a little girl's imaginary friend.  A friend who comes back to her after she is a grown woman.  Beautiful story written in typical James Patterson form--short chapters but almost every chapter is a cliff-hanger! 

If you love the imaginary friend concept, Cecelia Ahern's book If You Could See Me Now should be on your reading list as well.  In this story the imaginary friend, Ivan, shows up thinking he is there for Luke, the little boy in the house, but soon learns he has been assigned to the Elizabeth--Luke's aunt.  It's a sweet story but not sappy.  It wasn't like PS I Love You but it had a great message.

So there you go. . .4 of my favorite books.  Just 4 from a very long list of favorite books!

No comments:

Post a Comment