Thursday, February 16, 2012

Moooooooo!

 I have to get my freezer organized.  For years I have been telling my husband that I wanted to buy a side of beef or split it with another family.  I tried to sell him on the economics of buying beef in a large quantity and not having to pay so much per pound at the grocery store.

Well, I finally convinced him when a cousin posted on her Facebook page that she had 1/4 cow that she needed to sell off.  It is homegrown beef at an amazing price.  Lots of good lean ground beef along with steaks and roasts.

It's a win win win in so many ways.

I get excellent beef from a farmer I know.  It's hormone free.  It is more or less local; I have no idea how far the cow in the grocery store has travelled before landing on my plate for dinner.  Plus, it will be in my freezer so I'll be able to cut the weekely grocery bill.  Along with the fact that the price per pound is way better than I could ever get at the grocery store.

I feel so lucky that everything came together so easily for this.  I've never wanted to approach any of my farming cousins to ask about getting my beef from them.  I just love knowing that I'm getting exactly what I want out of the deal. . .if I just went and got a side of beef, could I possibly know that it was hormone free?

So today's big task will be to get the freezer ready.  I gave away a 23 lb turkey a few days ago to make room.  But we'll have to move some things around too.  I cannot wait to have the problem of too much cow in my freezer!

No comments:

Post a Comment