Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Flush away!

I think I have a new favorite thing in my life.

And I'm not being sarcastic.  Remember, that's not me.

But recently my septic tank went on the fritz.  For Super Bowl weekend. 

Who wants to call a plumber out to check that on Super Bowl Sunday?  Thanks to the neverending generosity of my parents we were able to get showers at their house. And we did laundry at their house.  We were able to kill the environment a little using paper plates and plastic cups.  And ahmmm, well we planned bathroom trips.  Nothing brings a family together like "I think I'm going to head to the bathroom. . .anyone else?  Who wants to go first?" so we could conserve flushes.  And we saved some money by waiting until Monday morning to call the plumber.

I am undoubtedly a city slicker.  Even though I grew up outside city limits and have lived all but about 4 years of my life outside the city, I have had city water and city sewer for the great majority of my life.  When we built our house we were able to tap into city water but no city sewer.  I was not happy.  But everyone told me that a septic tank isn't bad.  And since it would be a new tank, no worries. We'd be years down the road. . .maybe even dead before that septic tank had problems.

Sad to report that I have heard the alarm on the tank go off three times in the last eight months now.  First time it was full.  Second time indicated a problem.  We called someone out and it was allegedly fixed.  Until the alarm went off again just a few days later.

It's funny.  You just don't know what you've got until it's gone.  And not being able to use much water is a tough.  I say I could live without electricity (yeah, right up until I don't have power then I'd rethink that statement).  And I know I can live without any water coming out of the faucet because at least I can buy water at the store.  But when you can't flush or do laundry or wash dishes or take showers. . .well, there's the proof that I never could have been Laura Ingalls Wilder after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment