Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Heart Day!

Since we celebrate a birthday just before Valentine's Day it can be a struggle to get excited about another holiday.  We have a heart wreath on the door.  There are some red and white Valentine towels in the powder bathroom.  And there are Valentines to send to school.

But it never was a huge holiday for me.  I'm not a fan of flowers and especially not a dozen long stemed red roses on a made up holiday. 

It's not that I'm anti-flower entirely.  I like surprise flowers that are cash and carry on a Friday (for a lot less money!)  I totally get the reason for flowers being so expensive for Valentine's Day.  I just prefer jewelry.  Pricey?  Yes.  But it lasts forever.  (Except of course for that one ring I lost while pregnant--8 months pregnant and the ring slid right off my absolutely NOT swollen finger.  Devastating.  At least that was a ring I had paid for long before meeting my husband.  He can't say that I lose jewelry he gives me).  Flowers as a symbol of my "undying love" just makes me giggle.  What happens to those roses in just a few days?  They are withered and dropping petals all over the desk.  Not fabulous.

On the other hand, jewelry gets expensive times 4 in my house.  So I look for something different to do for my girls.  Sometimes we do heart shaped pizza.  Or we share conversation hearts with the right message.  Last year I made my own conversation hearts to post on their bedroom doors.  They had a series of compliments written just for them.  They had fun reading through what I love about each of them. That one might be tough to top. . .unless it's jewelry of course!

At the moment, I'm not sure what Valentine's surprise we'll have at our house.  Apparently my husband and kids have something cooked up for dinner tonight.  We'll see. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment