Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I got my cow!!!

And it is awesome.  I now have in my freezer a basket full of super lean ground beef and in the compartment next to that basket and below that basket are a variety of roasts and steaks.  My parents went in on this cow with me so I don't have quite as much as I thought I might get but it's all good. 

The trip to pick up the meat was a good one.  Two of the kids got to go with us; unfortunately the youngest couldn't go because she had already made plans to go to her best friend's birthday party.  She had a great time there and we promised her that we'll go back to the farm another time so she can meet all the animals.

Speaking of animals, the city slickers thoroughly enjoyed meeting the donkey, the four miniature horses and feeing the baby goat.  The little goat wouldn't nurse so he is bottlefed twice a day.  He wasn't due for a feeding but he got a two bottle snack anyway so that the girls could feed him.  We also got to spend a little time with Lexie, the Siberian Husky.  She was beautiful!

Back to the cow. . . we made chili using some of the super lean ground beef.  It was awesome.  I guess it's only polite to share the recipe we use, right?

1.5 lbs lean ground beef
1/2 onion, diced (optional--sometimes I use onion powder for flavor w/o onion pieces b/c kids don't like onion pieces)
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 large can or 2 small cans Brooks chili beans (you choose how hot)
1 small can tomato paste
1 small can tomato sauce
1 can Coke or Diet Coke
Generous amount of ketchup
liberal shake of chili powder

Brown the beef in a large pan.    Add onion (or onion powder) along with diced tomatoes, chili beans, tomato paste, and tomato sauce.  We put a litlte water in each can to rinse it but pour that rinse water into the soup.  Add a generous amount of ketchup (I'm guessing 1/2 to 1 cup)  and stir.  Then add the chili powder.  I can only guess at the amount here--probably a tablespoon?  Once that is all stirred together, add the can of Coke or Diet Coke.  Let simmer at least 30 minutes. 

My girls love shredded cheese with their chili.  One is especially fond of oyster crackers in her soup.

Nothing like a bowl of chili on a cold day.  If only we were having some cold days. .

No comments:

Post a Comment