Wednesday, October 31, 2012

What is wrong with people??????

One of my earliest memories is from when I was about 3 years old.  My parents took my sister and I trick or treating.  We only went to a few houses in our neighborhood then out to see my mom's parents and sisters.  We also went to see some very good friends of my parents, Trav and Del.  They were like another set of grandparents for my sister and I.  They met the role of extra parents for my dad too.  They had no children of their own so they took us in as though we were theirs.  Trav and my grandmother had been best friends from grade school on.

So that one year when I was three we went out to Trav and Del's place.  I was a clown; my older sister was a princess that year.  My parents decided to play a joke on Trav and Del.  They parked down the road and then hid around the corner of the house, in the bushes and sent my sister (she was 5) and me on up to the door by ourselves.

This was after dark.  It was a safe neighborhood but it was dark!

Oh Del was not happy when he opened the door and saw little kids all alone on his doorstep.  He had no idea who we were (behind our masks).  I can still hear him grumbling around to Trav "What is wrong with people?  Who sends little kids out, after dark, all alone??????  What is wrong with their parents."

The whole time my parents were trying not to laugh out loud over in the bushes.  They could see and hear the whole thing.

Del told Trav "Get over here and watch these kids while I get the candy.  Honestly. . . . ."

About that time my parents popped around the corner. 

Trav and Del laughed so hard over it. . .they couldn't believe my parents had "gotten them" so gooooood. 

Happy Halloween everyone!  Be safe and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment