Thursday, October 4, 2012

These are my people!

Last night my family attended a street festival.  It's a pretty big deal around these parts.  It lasts for a week and there are tons of food booths as well as games and rides for the kids. The first two nights were too cool and rainy for my liking so we didn't go.

But last night was perfect.  The temp was just right.  The sun was setting.  There was a good-size crowd.  And as soon as I hit the main stretch of the festival I was hit with the smell of hot grease and the sounds of a blue grass band performing on the secondary stage.

And I knew I was home.

Yes, there are all kinds of people.  This festival is about the food and much of it is deep fried.  And yes many of the people are larger than they really should be.  And there is a certain stereotype that many of them are rednecks.  But they are my people at "my" festival. People who work hard and spend a week enjoying a festival where all the money raised goes to help churches, schools and other worthwhile organizations.

To that end, we picked up some cash and headed out.  We had  deep fried dill pickle spears, (stromboli), (pronto pup), corn on the cob, giant Texas tenderloin, corn fritters, onion rings, sausage burger, (dippin' dots), a bottle of water and 2 diet cokes. 

Total cost for this dinner for five? Around $45 including parking.  

(Items in parentheses were consumed entirely buy other members of the family)


My parents don't "get it."  They have no desire to go to the festival.  They never were all that interested in it.  But my family and I love it.  Maybe that's just who we are.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment