Wednesday, October 10, 2012

How am I supposed to say goodbye?

We've been together for several years.  Daily for a good portion of that.

And yet we have nearly reached the end of the road.

I know the end is coming.  I've known for a while.  There have been tell-tale signs.

It's like we are hanging on by a thread.

Because we are.

I have this set of favorite jammies.  I think I got them for Christmas eight years ago.  That sounds too far back--really eight years???  But I am pretty certain I have my timeline right.  Maybe I should check the Christmas morning photos?  I know I've worn them for multiple Christmas mornings over the years.

Soft heathered purple yoga pants and a hooded jacket in a thicker material.

We've been through a lot together.  I was wearing them the day my one daughter's godmother stopped by with a present,  I hadn't managed to get myself pulled together yet.  She had no idea I was still in my jammies.

Or the better story. . .I was wearing these jammies the morning I had to chase after my dog.  She chased after a jogger one morning just a few weeks after we moved into our house.  I was barefoot at the time.  Dashed right across the street (cars lined up waiting for the dog, the jogger, and me to all make it safely across the street--oh what a sight!)

But now, after oh so many Christmas mornings together, I can see that my jammies are just about done.

I searched high and low for another set like this but never found them.  My husband has tried for years to find a similar weight and softness.  No such luck.

Every time I wear them now I am acutely aware that they cannot make it through many more wearings.

They have served well.  Perfect for lounging, greeting guests or chasing the dog back home.

What more can a girl ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment