Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Super Easy French Bread

We love bread in this house.  My family has been known to wander into the kitchen and see me working away then ask the silly question "What are you making Mom?"  And when I say bread they ask me why.  As if you need a reason to make bread.  It is bread.  What else can I say?

Thanks to the wonders of pinterest I came across a recipe for making French bread--fast and easy as well as cheap!  Original recipe source here:  http://www.dealstomeals.blogspot.com/2009/03/blog-post_09.html

I tried it.  The recipe says it takes 90 minutes to make.  It always takes me a little longer than that if I let it rise properly.  Maybe that's due to wonky weather around here affecting the rising stage.  Anyway, I am sharing her recipe with some re-wording on the process because I adapted things to suit my time frame.

French Bread recipe (this amount makes 3 small loaves or 2 large):

2 1/2 c. warm water
2 Tbls. yeast
3 Tbls. sugar
2 Tbls. white vinegar

Add the above ingredients together and let sit until bubbly (about 3-5 minutes).

Then add:
1 Tbls. salt
1/3 c. oil (she uses Canola; I usually do but sometimes I use olive oil and it's all good)
6-7 c. flour (or a little more if it's too soft), add one cup at a time until the dough is soft, but firm enough to make into loaves

Knead for 2-5 minutes and then put in the oven with a small pot of boiling water (keeps the dough moist). Watch the dough and punch it down when it gets to the top of the mixing bowl. Do this several times.  She recommends 2-5 times.

Take the dough out of the oven and divide into 2 or 3  sections. It might well be a little sticky.  If it's really sticking to your hands, you can add a bit more flour at this point. . .maybe 1/4 c at a time

Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and sprinkle a thin layer of cornmeal on the bottom of the sheet. Roll the dough balls into rectangle/long French bread shapes. (I use baking stones so I skip the cooking spray step)

Slash tops of bread diagonally 3-5 times

Let rise 30 minutes (or until doubled) on the counter.

(Alternate idea:  you can put them in your oven at 170 wait until they are the size you want to cook them at. Once they are to the right size, turn up your stove to 375--without opening the door--and let them bake until done)

Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment