Friday, May 11, 2012

Lloyd's Ice Cream

A long time ago my grandparents lived in town in a bungalow with a wide front porch.  They had a big backyard for a city house.  Their driveway was really long too and they could get to their garage from the road or from an alley behind the house.

I remember going over to their house and getting all of us in the car to go get ice cream at Lloyd's.  Dad drove, my mom and sister rode in the front seat.  Nana, Papa and I rode in the back.  When we got to Lloyd's Dad did a quick survey around the car for what kind of cones we wanted.  I always got all-natural strawberry.  Papa was chocolate almond.  Nana was butter pecan.  Mom and Dad went with either chocolate almond or butter pecan.  My sister always got fresh peach. 

The people at Lloyd's would dip the ice cream into cones then pass the cone server out to the car and we'd all pick up our cones.  Then we'd head back to my grandparents' house.

Funny thing is, I remember us doing this several times, right?

Not so.  According to my mom we only did this once or twice with my grandparents.   But I remember it like it was a frequent occurance.  Must have been because it was good ice cream with good people.

Lloyd's is long gone, replaced by another name, but the last time I was there, I saw they still had fresh peach ice cream on the menu.  That's going to have to make it on the list of things to do with the kids this summer--go eat some fresh peach ice cream!  There's nothing quite like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment