Saturday, May 19, 2012

For the good times.. . .

My oldest listens to her mp3 player or radio in the mornings when she gets ready for school.  Pretty typical, right?  I've gotten used to hearing her music playing from the upstairs bathroom as I get myself ready each day.

But the other morning, I had to run up to her closet to retrieve one of my black sweater dealios that she had borrowed.  And as I walked by the bathroom I had to pause out of shock.

She was listening to Ray Price sing For the Good Times.

Shock.

She got to know that song as a little girl riding in her mama's van, forced to listen to whatever mama wanted to listen to.

So I had to ask her. . .how out of all the music she has did she come to land on that song?  What a song for a "kid" to listen to, right?

She said "I remember listening to it with you.  Big Bird was on the CD case.   I remember knowing that I wanted to listen to the one with Big Bird on the case.  I don't know why he was on that case though. . . ."

It was a series of CD's titled "Have a Nice Day" with songs from the 70s.  How funny that she remembered the case and associated it with the song and riding in the car?

To borrow from Eric Church and his song "Springsteen,"  "Funny how a melody sounds like a memory."

No comments:

Post a Comment