Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Graduation Day

Today my oldest graduates from eighth grade.  Where did the time go? 

The last nine years have been full of ups and downs, just as you might expect.  She went off to school, just a little girl who loved to wear dresses (but hated that she was supposed to wear shorts under them.)  She had an amazing kindergarten teacher who picked her up and gave her love of reading and learning.

I know my Baby Bear still remembers that first day. We made muffins to take along for breakfast; she never was a fan of a sit-down breakfast on a school day.  So we sat on the steps of the school eating our muffins and she looked at me and said, "Mommy, I'm not sure I'm ready for this."  I hugged her and told her I knew she was anxious but that she'd be just fine.  When the time came to go up to the classroom I gave her another hug and kiss then turned to leave.  I lingered a bit longer at the door than I should have so her teacher told me "Mom, you can go now."  That was when I cried.  Just a bit.  I'd been dismissed by the teacher.

My little girl progressed through kindergarten and found a best friend.  They looked so much alike that the teacher sometimes got them confused.  They stayed best friends through first and second grade.  In third grade they were put in separate classes, which was probably for the best since we knew her best friend was going to be moving to a different school starting in fourth grade.

Third grade was rough.  My little angel was sick for a while and just had some tough times.  But she learned a huge lesson that year.  True friends are always your friends.  And the popular crowd will talk about you if you aren't there.  She decided then that if that's what it took to be popular, she didn't care to be popular.  Good girl.

Fourth grade meant a new building.  And going it without a best friend anymore.  She just kept going.  Plugging along with a couple of good friends but not that "bestie" like she'd had before.  She endured some scrapes and bruises emotionally but stayed true to herself and remained a good Christian girl, remembering the Golden Rule.  

Suddenly she was in eighth grade.  She was making plans for going to high school.  This time she is the one leaving the group of friends.  Most of them will continue on to the school that their elementary school feeds into.  But she is jumping over to a much bigger school.  (Both are excellent schools.  It's just a personal choice to switch to the bigger one.)  While she is very excited about going to the bigger school, she is nostalgic.  She has been with this group of kids for the last nine years.  And while they haven't always gotten along, they have always been there.  They will be able to stay in touch.  But it won't be the same. 

Tonight is the end of an era for her.  While some would say eighth grade graduation is a silly little milestone in life, no one can argue that a relationship that lasts nine years isn't anything to dismiss lightly.  These people and this school have had a tremendous impact on the beautiful, loving, graceful, prayer-ful, Christian young lady I get to call my daughter.

I know she'll read this and I hope she can read between the lines to know just how proud I am of her and the decisions she has made over the last nine years.  And by tacking on this little song, I know she'll tear up.  Happy tears for what she has had mixed with sad tears for what she leaves behind.  Keep looking ahead Baby Bear because great things wait for you at your next school!

No comments:

Post a Comment