Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Ice Cream!

Mmmmmmmm, dreamsicles! 

I'm just old enough to remember the days when the ice cream truck used to roll down the streets and you'd run out to get some ice cream.

I remember one evening we were at home but we had company (Travie, an extra grandmother to me).  We heard the gentle tinkle of the ice cream truck's music playing and she said "Oh girls--go get my purse!"   We looked at my mom and she said "sure."

I can't even remember the choices we were given.  But I do remember the cold refreshing dreamsicle that I had.  It was the biggest dreamsicle I had ever seen and, even more impressive, the orange coating was actually distributed evenly over the creamy vanilla ice cream (something that never seems to happen when I buy a box of them at the grocery store--plus they are smaller than I remember). 

It seems those days are gone around here.  Travie has been gone for more than twenty years.  And the ice cream trucks don't head out our way all that often.  When they do, I'm more leery of buying from them now.

I was so blessed to have such a good childhood in a safe environment, able to enjoy the frivolity of ice cream on a summer evening with my family.  Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment