Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Yummy Squash/Zucchini Casserole!

I used to have a recipe for a yellow squash casserole.  I couldn't find it the last time I wanted to make it so I had to go searching for one.  I used one from the sparkpeople recipe file and amended it.  I was supposed to be 12 servings and each one had 220 calories.  Nope, far too many calories for me.  So here's my new and improved lower calorie version:

3-4 zucchini or yellow squash, washed, half-hazardly peeled and diced
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 cup milk
1 whole egg
2 egg whites
salt and pepper to taste
4 oz shredded cheese
sprinkling of bread crumbs

Here's what we did:
Spray 13 x 9 baking pan with cooking spray.  Put zucchini, squash and onions in this pan; sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Roast the veggies for about 30 minutes at 350.

After removing the veggies from the oven, increase the oven temp to 375.  Mix the milk and egg.  Pour over the roasted veggies then sprinkle with shredded cheese and bread crumbs.  Spritz with a bit of cooking spray so the bread crumbs can get a little toasted.

Back for another 20 minutes.

While I can't tell you the calorie count, I can tell you my version used less eggs (theirs called for 4 whole eggs), much less cheese (theirs called for 12 oz!), less bread crumbs and no butter.  And yet we thought it was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment