Monday, July 16, 2012

How I Knew I Was Grown Up

When I was younger I used to wonder how I would ever get to be as smart and grown up as the adults in my life.  They seemed to have all the answers and make things look easy.

I graduated high school and thought I knew a lot but I knew I wasn't really "grown up."

I went to college and held down as many as 3 jobs at a time while taking classes and thought I knew a lot.  But even then I knew I wasn't really "grown up."

Eventually I got married and had kids.  We bought a house.  I was doing a pretty good job of looking grown up I thought. 

But I distinctly remember the night I realized I was about as grown up as I was ever going to get.

We had friends visiting from out of town.  I wanted to make pizza for supper because that was something my mom always made and they always loved to have at our house.  While they sat and visited I mixed up the dough from scratch and made dinner.  When dinner was over I cleaned things up and let them talk.

It was around the same time that I took on tasks like dinners after baptism or First Communion as well as birthday parties. 

Well looky there.  Without realizing it I had suddenly become the grown up.  Preparing for parties like my parents used to do.  And not really minding it.  OK, so sometimes there is a little hissy fit due to stress and the general pig-sty lived in look of my house just not quite working for me when it's almost party time.  But overall, I realized that when you can host Thanksgiving dinner for the family and not mind cleaning up while they sit and talk, that's when you are the grownup.

And frankly, hosting/cleaning up from parties is probably the easiest part of being a grown up.  Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment