Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Stompin' round the cemetery

Yesterday we had a little family day for the girls in this family.  We took a drive to one of the hangouts from when I was a little girl.  It's a state park with a working farm. . .except they weren't really working the farm.  We did get some really cool pics though:  (Hey, indulge me a little, OK?)
 



I am disappointed by the very modern table in the cabin.  Back when I was a little girl the table was much more authentic looking.  I was also disappointed that they seem to have tour guides instead of an actual working farm now. 

None the less while we were in that neighborhood I had the bright idea that we should just through a few more stops into the day.  So we went over to the town my daddy grew up in and stomped all around the cemetery.  We found graves for two of my uncles, an aunt, a couple of first cousins and most importantly, my grandparents.  My grandfather was killed in an accident before my daddy was even born.  And my grandmother died about six years before my parents even met.  I think today was the first time I ever actually saw where they were buried.  And the cemetery is literally just up the hill from the house my daddy was born in.  I really wanted to get some pictures of the house but since it's a small town and someone else lives in that house now, I couldn't exactly go taking pictures of it. . .or even knock on the door and say "My daddy was born here, can I take a look around?" 

But overall I think it was a good trip for the kids.  A little bit of life as I used to know it and some strong connections to those who came before them.

Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment