Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Resolutions

I don't really believe in New Year's Resolutions.

Maybe because I've never been too successful with them in the past?

I've done the "I'm going to lose 10 lbs by _____"

Fail.

I've done the "I'm going to quit cussing."

Ask my kids.  I blame cussing on driving in a town full of idiot drivers.  And I tell the kids that they aren't old enough to cuss because they aren't old enough to drive. . .course that excuse won't hold much longer.

Maybe I should work on that "quit cussing" resolution after all?

I have had some success with "no eating after supper" and "no snacking in between meals" but that's mostly common sense.

Last year my only "resolution" involved kindness.  I think simple compassion and understanding are what are missing most in this world.  This does NOT mean "anything goes." We do not have to blithely accept everything as OK.  Standards can co-exist with kindness and compassion.  What it does mean is that  I need to be more aware of what others are experiencing and work to do what I can to NOT add to anyone else's burden.  I would like to think that I have had some success with this one. 

And yet I know I still have room for improvement.

Certainly any efforts I can make with this resolution will be good.

Do you do resolutions?  What are your resolutions?

PS--I am also going to read more books, more non-fiction in particular.

No comments:

Post a Comment