Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Happy Birthday Mama!

She was born 76 years ago today, during a flood.  (And still hates water--pools, rivers, streams, etc)


Around eight years ago she got the got a chance to revisit the home she was born in and was amazed at how different it looked.  Somewhere a long the way a second floor was added to the house.

She had rosy cheeks which led to her name :-)

She was the youngest of 3 girls. . .until her brother came along 13 yrs later.

She hated school when she was a little girl.  She even wrapped her legs around the big mailbox on the corner and proclaimed that she was NOT going to kindergarten.  (She didn't have to go)

So what did she become when she grew up?  Of course.  A teacher.

She had to quit teaching when she got married.  That's how it worked back then.

But then she got to be my mama.

And just like any mother-daughter, we have our good days and our bad days. We are both pretty independent minded.

But when I get sick, nothing compares with the chicken noodle soup she makes for me.

And when I have a bad day, Mom is the one that listens, says "tsk, tsk" and gets me back on track.

I love my mom and pray we get many more years together.  (That's practically an order Mom!)

Not that the lyrics really apply but this song makes me think of my mom. . .she used to sing along to the radio when they played this one:




No comments:

Post a Comment