Monday, August 20, 2012

Sometimes books are such duds

I read a lot of good books.  And then I try to branch out for different books.  And get burned.

I picked up one that was written by a young man with OCD.  I don't think "bitter and hateful" are nearly strong enough words to describe this author.  Much of what he had to say struck a chord with me--in all the wrong ways.  He attacked the church I love.  He attacked education.  He had very strong reactions to people overusing OCD.  I suppose he has a point there but once he states that he has a very rare sort of OCD he really should understand that maybe he should cut the rest of society some slack for not understanding him or his particular version so well.  It's not like he walks around with a sign on his forehead stating his problem so people don't even realize that he is battling OCD.  I hoped that reading his memoirs of growing up with OCD might be helpful to me (hey, I never know everything I should know about all the students that walk into my classroom, right?)  But reading his story just made me uncomfortable--from what he did share, his use of foul language and his nasty belligerent attitude toward God, the Church and people in general.

Fail.

Time to pull out a trusted and beloved author like Harlan Coben.  Much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment