Tuesday, August 28, 2012

How to celebrate a birthday

We have finished up a few weeks of birthdays in the family circle--four birthdays in ten days.  Fortunately I was not surrounded by birthday cake all that time! 

We celebrated from the youngest turning 9 to the oldest turning 79.

Most of the birthdays came and went without a lot of fanfare.  One was in the middle of the week (first day of school) and others were sprinkled throughout the week.  But for one, we had a party.

Yes, a party for my 79 year old aunt.  She has 11 children but not all were able to attend.  But what a great celebration of her life.  Can you even imagine having that many in the family?  It amazes me.  My dad tried to help prepare us for the gathering by listing all the kids and how many kids they had. . .not an easy task.  But an imporant one.  When we were little we visited with this aunt but I was never able to keep track of all the kids.  And she was one I felt I hardly knew.  I think we are all so blessed now to have time to spend together.  She's got stories and we need to hear them.

My oldest got a chance to learn to play Euchre (not impressed).  And then they pulled out the dominoes for a game.  But soon the crowd was too big and the party itself too much fun to play any games at all.

Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment