Friday, September 6, 2013

Blast from the past! Mississippi Mud Cake!

The recipe below is the one my mom made when we were kids.  I scoured the internet looking for it but none of them seemed quite right so finally I just called my mama up and asked for it. 

One of my girlfriends asked me what was in it (poor deprived girl has never had this dessert!)  I laughed and told her it had sugar, a little more sugar, cocoa, still more sugar and marshmallow topping.

Cake Ingredients:
2 c sugar
4 eggs
 2 sticks margarine
1 1/2 c flour
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c cocoa
1 c nuts

Cream the sugar, eggs, and margarine then add flour, coconut, vanilla, cocoa and nuts.  Spread into a lightly greased rectangular glass baking dish. 

Bake at 350 until done.


Topping Ingredients:
2 1/4 c sugar
1/2 c evaporated milk
1/3 c cocoa
1 stick margarine
10 oz jar marshmallow creme topping

Let cake cook for 30 minutes or so then spread  10 oz of  marshmallow creme on top of the cake 

Bring milk, cocoa and margarine to a boil.  Pour it over the 2 1/4 c sugar  and stir until smooth.  Top the cake with this mixture.

Don't even bother to see how many calories are in this baby.  Just know that a small piece, say 2 inches square will be plenty.  For real.  Any cake that calls for 1 lb of sugar in the topping, well, it has to be good. 

Moderation is the key.

No comments:

Post a Comment