Thursday, July 25, 2013

Why English Majors Cannot Listen to the Radio

Seriously people. . .how difficult is it to write poetry set to music?

But for today's generation, grammar is an unknown and proper English, well, they claim artistic license or some other mumbo jumbo to justify themselves.

Example:  Florida Georgia Line's hit song Cruise makes me cringe

"Baby you a song
You make me wanna roll my windows down"


Too lazy to sing "Baby you're a song?"

No offense guys but it makes me scream a little because it's not *that* difficult to keep that line right. 

And then there's this song that is incredibly danceable.  It's really hard to stay still when it's playing.  I try not to pay attention to the lyrics because they are not appropriate, especially for young ears.  But when the singer says "What rhymes with hug me" again, I cringe.  I want to offer some suggestions like "mug me"  or even better "slug me"

Shame on you.  Music doesn't have to have inappropriate suggestive lyrics (or videos) in order to be popular.  Lazy (wrong) grammar isn't the key to success either. 

Make music that won't make an English major cringe over the lyrics.

Please!

Final thought . . .yes, I listen to both of those songs an have known to blast them while driving down the road.  But mentally I correct the English errors which means I don't get to enjoy the songs as much as I might otherwise ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment