Monday, July 8, 2013

Lightened up Fettuccine Alfredo

A few nights ago we were scrounging around for a meal.  Some members of the family were happy to eat a breaded chicken patty. I was not.

So I started boiling some water to throw some pasta in.  Then I dug around in the fridge to find that jar of pesto that I just knew was in there somewhere.

But I wanted  more.  I saw a recipe somewhere for a pesto fettuccine alfredo.  But it called for heavy cream. . .which of course I didn't have.  So looked online to see if I could substitute Greek yogurt, which I usually do have in the fridge.

Bingo.

Rocco DiSpirito's Lightened Fettuccine Alfredo.   It makes 4 servings (funny, that's how much fettuccine I put on to boil before I even knew I was making his recipe.

I had attempted regular fettuccine before and was not thrilled with my results.  Since I was the only one intending to eat it this go around, I figured I had nothing to lose.  So I followed the recipe as it was given on the ABC news website.

8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
1 tablespoon butter
3 garlic cloves, minced (I cheated and used minced garlic from a jar in the fridge)
2 teaspoons cornstarch
a pinch of ground nutmeg
3/4 c low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 c grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
3/4 cup 5% Greek yogurt
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Cook fettuccine according to package directions.

While the pasta cooks, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until it is fragrant, about 2 minutes.

In a small bowl (or glass measuring cup) combine the cornstarch and nutmeg.  Add the chicken broth and whisk until smooth.  Pour this mixture into the skillet; raise the heat and bring to a simmer, whisking as needed.

Add 1/2 cup of the cheese and stir in as it melts.  Then, remove the  skillet from the heat and whisk in the yogurt. (Removing the skillet from heat is very important so that the yogurt does not separate)  The sauce should be smooth.

By this time the fettuccine should be ready to drain and then toss with the lightened alfredo sauce.  You may choose to salt and pepper to taste and top the pasta with the remaining cheese.

Serves 4.

According to the source cookbook Now Eat This this dish contains:
336 calories
10.4 g fat
Protein: 18 g
Carbohydrates: 47 g
Cholesterol: 27 mg
Fiber: 5 g
Sodium: 745 mg






1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete