Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The correct time is. . . .

Once upon a time, there was a number that you could call, anytime, day or night, to get the correct time and current temperature.

Now this is something that kids today would have no concept of doing.

But back when I was a kid, we didn't all have devices that could tell us correct time.  (Side track--my husband's cellphone does not keep time correctly.  I think his is perpetually slow.  We've turned it off and back on so it can update the time.  It doesn't)

Anyway, we also didn't have apps for telling us current weather conditions. 

Soooo, we called the local number, listened to a short commercial from a bank and then the kind lady on the other end of the line told us, in her calm, cheerful mom kind of voice "The correct time is ______ and the current temperature is ______"

We used that call to determine if it was too hot to swim.  Sure, we could have stepped outside but we had a very well shaded property and temps were always cooler by our house.  And the correct time was vital if the battery died in your watch or there had been a power outage and you needed to reset clocks.

I was curious the other day. . .does this service still exist?  I found this link Time/Temperature/Weather

One might think that I would remember this phone number the same way I remember my grandparents' phone number (even though they haven't had that number since 1995).  Sadly, I do not. Funny how the brain works sometimes, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment