Monday, June 18, 2012

Weird moment at the gym. . .

Not weird bad.  Just funny coincidence.

We go to the gym at all sorts of odd times.  Sometimes we show up at 8:30 or 9:00 at night and workout for an hour or so.  Lunchtime on Friday is another good time to go. 

Now in order for me to workout, something has to pass the time for me.  So I love the fact that every machine I use has a little TV attached.  (Except the rowing machine.  Perhaps that is why I use that one the least?)

The downside to this is that I never know what I'm going to get to watch while I workout.  The better the show, the longer I'll workout.

So the other day we went in for a lunchtime workout.  I watched a little HGTV but got bored with the House Hunters International episode so I started channel-surfing.  I was also listening to my iPod; I read the TV so I consider this a huge feat of multi-tasking while working out.  Sometimes I even talk with the kids while doing all the above. 

I landed on an episode of M*A*S*H.  In case you are not familiar with it, it is about a Mobile Army Surgical Hospital in Korea.  Classic TV.  When it went off the air it was the longest running show on TV.  Many people mistakenly thought it was about the Vietnam War rather than the Korean War.

Anyway, I'm watching the episode where Hawkeye Pierce and Major Houlihan are invited to show off some technique to another unit but en route something happens and they are lost plus Hawkeye is injured.  At one point she hears a chopper outside and runs out to see if it has come to rescue them.

Here's the crazy little moment.

Just when she think she hears a chopper outside the song on my iPod switched to "Goodnight Saigon" by Billy Joel. . .which starts out with the sounds of a chopper.

Of course "Goodnight Saigon" is Vietnam but still it was almost like having the soundtrack to the silent TV show playing through my earbuds since it was chopper on TV and chopper in my ears.

So there's my odd little moment.

And if you aren't familiar with the song, listen here. 


It's one of the most powerful songs I ever knew as a kid.  When I was a little girl my night prayers always ended with "Bless and please take care of the POW's in Vietnam so they come home to their families."

No comments:

Post a Comment