Wednesday, June 27, 2012

I'm a going for a drive. . . .

When I was a little girl my grandparents moved out to the country.  It was a 20 minute drive between our house and theirs.  Usually we spent 15 minutes of that drive praying the rosary.  Sometimes my sister and I provided mini-concerts as well during the drive.  Those routine drives ended some 15 years ago when my grandmother had to give up her home because she could no longer live on her own. 

The other day we had a going away party to attend.  My cousin is being deployed to Afghanistan so he was in town with his family, on leave before deployment.  We took the drive out to the country to his dad's house for the afternoon.  This drive was almost twice as long as the one to my grandparents' house.  A trip that long would usually require a book but I was really interested in seeing how things have changed over the years.

I am happy to report that the drive is very much what it always was.  There are only a couple of new subdivisions that have popped up in the country.  But for the most part the homes and properties look pretty much like they did thirty plus years ago when my grandparents made their great move.  There is a flashing light at the intersection now (ooooo--a sign of increased traffic in the country!)  And the gas station/convenience store was updated from back in the day and sadly, it was closed down at some point. 

Of course we had to drive down my grandparents old street.  I guess I haven't been in their house since my grandmother moved out; my cousin and his family bought the place and have lived there ever since.  There are changes there.  They built a second garage and driveway on the opposite side of the house.  And years ago they tore down my Papa's shed.  But otherwise it still looks pretty much like it always did.  Neighbors' trees have grown and offer more shade.  But it's still a family neighborhood just like I remember it to be.

Nice to see that sometimes things don't really have to change at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment