Monday, June 25, 2012

I'd like a pound of ground round please

Once upon a time there were simple little grocery stores sprinkled throughout town--hometown owned and operated.  We went to the bigger chain for canned goods and produce.  But we went to the little store across the street--Saveway--for our meats.

Saveway had a big butcher counter.  We would go in and get a pound of ground round, fresh to make hamburgers or meatloaf.  Sometimes they had a big cow tongue in the meat case--ick.  I never could get past the comment my dad made:  "How would you like to taste something that can taste you back?"

The girls who worked at this store were familiar, like friends.  I remember Sandy.  She later went on to work at a larger grocery store when Safeway closed down.  I still see her now and then--amazing that she has not aged and yet I grew up and have kids older than I was back when I met her????

My sister and I used to love when they would have little tarts and we could talk my mom into letting us get them.  They were small little pies in aluminum pie pans.   They would have cherry, apple and lemon.  They were such a treat.

The neighborhood grocery stores are all long gone now.  It's a shame.  We didn't usually do a full weeks worth of shopping at Saveway but they definitely were our choice for getting good fresh meat for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment