Thursday, August 8, 2013

How do I react to bad news?

Well, I scrub bathtubs.

I scrub my oven clean.

I do laundry.

I take air registers out of the floor and vacuum them.

I bake bread--lots of it.

I guess I do what most people do--seek to gain control of those things I can control in a world that otherwise seems to just spin away and out of my control.

Yesterday my family gained seven loaves of bread from the set of bad news that I shared with you.  Yes, seven.  I made my mom's bread (recipe here) along with a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread in the bread machine and then my youngest mixed up what we call "monk bread" (recipe here) with me.  In all, seven satisfying loaves of bread.

Not sure what you do the day after that kind of baking frenzy. . .maybe go swimming.

PS, "monk bread" is the recipe that two of my girls made with a monk a few weekends ago when we visited the school that my dad went to for high school, college and start of seminary.  The monk that made bread with them was an awesome individual who worked in front of a group of kids, parents and grandparents to teach us how to make the no-knead bread he makes for the monks in their community.  All credit for that recipe goes to Jim Lahey.

No comments:

Post a Comment