Tuesday, June 11, 2013

What Alice Forgot

I was on a reading binge for a while at the start of summer.  Sometimes the best books are the unknown finds. . .books you hadn't intended to pick up but they present themselves to you and you just have to take them home for a read.

And that is exactly what I found with Liane Moriarty's book What Alice Forgot.  Alice takes a fall while at her spin class and hits her head.  She is dazed and confused.  She tells people she is pregnant (Who are all these people anyway?  They all act like they know her but she doesn't know them?) and insists that she is 29 years old.  But she isn't.  She's actually 39.  She has three children.  And that husband that she adores?  They are in the middle of an ugly divorce.

How on earth did her life get to this?  How can it be that she has three children and she doesn't know them at all?

This is a really interesting story.  As a reader, you can't help but think about what you might think if you suddenly had the same experience as Alice.  Are all your choices good ones?  Have you made choices that a younger version of you would approve of for your life?

This book is a few years old.  I found it because it was well placed at my local library (thank you Madam librarian!)  I intend to try a few more of Ms. Moriarty's books now.  I just love when I find an author who crafts a story I can really get lost in and at the same time, gives me something to think about.


No comments:

Post a Comment