Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Clothespins

I have a bag of clothespins tucked into the back corner of a cabinet in my laundry room.

I do not have a clothesline.

Yet I hang on to the bag of clothespins.

I think because they remind me childhood.

I grew up in a family of readers.  The best words ever were "This is going to be a reading meal."  We'd scatter to collect our books or the newspaper so we could read during lunch or supper.  We didn't do it all the time.  Obviously conversation was important too. 

My mother almost always used a clothespin to clamp down the pages of her book and it was also her bookmark when she had to put the book down.

As kids we did have a clothesline and while we didn't hang all of our laundry (sister had allergies), we did hang things from time to time.

But one of the best uses of clothespins was when my mom would make a tent for us in the backyard.  She'd throw a sheet over the clothesline then use some clothespins, broken) to stake the tent.  Then she'd throw a quilt on the floor of the tent for us and make us sandwiches for lunch so we could. . .yup, read in the tent and eat.

Definitely good times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment