Monday, June 3, 2013

So it's definitely summertime. . .reading a lot here!

In the first week of summer vacation I polished off three books.  Yes.  Three.  One of them took just 26 hours. . .and I even managed to sleep for about 8 hours *and* address other family concerns during that time.  They were fed and everything!

The first was the final book in the Sookie Stackhouse series--Dead Ever After.

I suppose it was time for the series to end.  I caught up with it several years after it began so it doesn't seem like it's been around for ages. . .to me.

Throughout the ride there have been highs and lows.  I felt that the earlier books (before it became an HBO series) were the better books.  There were a couple of ridiculously outlandish ones later on in the series.

The final book does exactly what you would expect.  People, erm, perhaps I should say creatures, must die in order for Sookie to continue in her happy little home in Bon Temps.  I can't give away any particulars.  But the story wraps up nicely.  Some might say too neatly for a mind-reader who has taken up with vampires, the fae, werepanthers and shapeshifters.

I will miss the early Sookie--who just dropped into people's thoughts, even when she really didn't want to do so.  She was sweet and innocent.  She became to hardened as she learned more about the world around her.  Maybe that is inevitable.

Personally, I would love to see Charlaine Harris be able to write more stories for Harper Connelly.  There were some talks in the works to turn it into a tv series but they fell through.  I feel there are more stories that could be told with Harper. . .but then, I'm just a reader, not the writer.

Stay tuned for more short book reviews this week.  It was a rainy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment