Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Parents are so stupid. AKA I'm going to need a tutor or something

Parents are dumb.

Sooooooo dumb.

They have kids and they think they are adorable little babies. 

They put them on a quilt in the middle of a room and watch them for hours.

(No, we are not to the part yet where parents are dumb.  Stay with me though.)

We say "I can't wait until she can __________"  (fill in the blank).

Time passes and those babies start doing things.

They make eye contact. 

They roll over. 

They sit up. 

They discover hands and feet and noses and ears.

They discover their voices.

And the whole time, we parents, idiots that we are, say "I can't wait until she can ____________" (fill in the blank).

It is only after they master things like walking, talking, learning to read, putting themselves to sleep at night, riding a bicycle all by themselves, making friends, going to school and leaving us. . .then and only then do we realize what perfect little idiots we are.

I love my family.  Even when they make me insane with all their noise and procrastination.

And I know just how much I love them and all their craziness when I realize that my house is far too quiet.

My oldest is spending a lot of time away from us these days.  She has speech practice/competition and rehearsals for this really amazing music program that her school will do this week (5 performances in 4 days--and it is amazing every single time).

It seems like she has hardly even been home the last several days.  She'll be gone pretty much every night this week.

I'm not sure I'm ready for this.  I might need to hire someone to show me how to do this business of letting go. . .letting my kids do their own thing. 

Because it really was easier when we just put them on their little quilts and watched them, waiting for them to do something magnificent and celebrating them just being here.

No comments:

Post a Comment