Wednesday, February 20, 2013

How I finally lost weight. . .and got some great legs!

Here goes nothing.

About 18 months ago my doctor proclaimed me obese.

He was sneaky about it.

He didn't tell me to my face. 

He didn't tell me when I was at my top weight.

He told me by writing it on my paper that I had to turn in to the receptionist before I checked out of the office.

And he waited to proclaim me obese until I was actually down ten pounds from my highest weight.

It still smarts.

I had just gone through a tough time--had to have surgery and had a very difficult recovery.  I was  trying to get healthy again but it was hard.

Well, I was peeved.  For a number of reasons.

So what did I do?  I made changes.

I ate less meat.  I ate more beans for protein.  I ate more salads and more vegetables all around.  I tried to work out.  When my kids went to soccer practice I spent time on the recumbent bike.  But then I had a  round of bronchitis and asthma that wiped me out. 

So I started over.

I joined the gym.  (Actually my husband got the family membership so I was guilted into going). 

I lost some weight.  Slowly.  It definitely wasn't a huge transformation fast.

I am not going to the gym anymore.  I just can't find the time to go.  But I am careful about what I eat.  That is the key after all.  Fuel the body properly and good things will happen.

As I sit here today I am just 4 pounds away from where my doctor wants me to be.  I am 10 pounds away from where I think I want to be.  Funny.  Eighteen months ago I thought the doctor's goal for me was unrealistic.

And if I do say so myself, I look good.  My legs look better than ever.  I credit daily wear of heels with that one.  If you have good shoes with proper support, heels aren't uncomfortable at all.  They are my preferred shoes.  Flats just leave me so. . . flat.  Heels make me feel like I am ready to take on the world.  And the building I work in requires a lot of steps to get from here to there.  Heck, just getting in the building is a workout for the legs.  And working out wearing heels?  Well, it definitely adds to the benefits for your legs.

So there you go.  Good old common sense.

And no more "obese" label.

No comments:

Post a Comment