Thursday, June 21, 2012

Greek Salad ala Rachael Ray, sorta. . . .

I went through a no meat phase for a while.  This became my version of a Rachael Ray Greek salad.  I'd mix it up and night and have it for lunch the next day.  Delicious!  Light yet filling.  Since it was mid winter and no fresh tomatoes were available, I had to use canned.  I look forward to making it with fresh tomatoes now!

Greek salad
1 can petite diced tomatoes, drained well (or 3 vine ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks )
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 cucumber peeled and diced (or1/2 European seedless cucumber, cut into bite-size chunks)
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1 cup Kalamata black olives (sometimes I cheated and just used a sprinkling of finely chopped black peppers)
1/4 pound Greek feta, crumbled
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed in palm of your hand
Pita breads (also very good with English muffins found here)

Combine vegetables, olives, and parsley in a large bowl. Rest crumbled feta on the top of salad.
Mix dressing--oil, vinegar, and oregano--and pour over salad and cheese.
Season to taste with salt and pepper (I have a thing for white pepper but black pepper is fine as well)
Serve salad with pita bread, a thick crusted bread or English muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment