Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Cheese Scones = Red Lobster Cheese Biscuits?

I am not a huge fan of seafood so a trip to Red Lobster isn't a huge thing for me.  Except for those little cheddar cheese biscuits.  Those make the trip worthwhile for me.

The other day my girls had a sleepover and asked me to make scones for breakfast.  They prefer chocolate chip scones but I was looking to make something with cheese because I was more interested in savory rather than sweet for breakfast.

The result?  Truly yummy and enough like the Red Lobster cheddar biscuits that I decided I should share this one in case anyone else really craves them.  My basic recipe is one I clipped from Parade Magaine back in May of 2009.

Basic Easy Scone Recipe
1 large egg
1/2 c milk
2 c all-purpose flour
2 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbsp cold butter, cut into bits
3/4 cup of your preferred mix-in (chocolate chips, finely shredded cheddar jack cheese, raisins, craisins, blueberries, etc)

Preheat the oven to 400 F. Whisk the egg and milk together in one bowl and the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in another.

Drop the butter into the flour and using your fingers , cut and rub until the mixture is pebbly.  Poru in th emilk and egg.  Mix with a fork until the dough is evenly moist.  Add your "mix-in" and give the very sticky dough a few more stirs

Spoon a dozen mounds of dough onto a baking stone (or foil-lined baking sheet) and bake for 20-22 minutes or until the scones are golden brown.  Cool for a few minutes.  Serve with butter or jam, or a little of each.

If you follow this recipe and use raisins, the following nutritional analysis applies:
Makes 12.

Per Scone:  170 calories, 26 g carbs, 3 g protein, 7 g fat and 35 mg cholesterol.

No comments:

Post a Comment